MLA Abdul Rashid held for protesting against `Darbar Move`
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Police on Monday detained independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid and his supporters for attempting to lay siege of the Civil Secretariat here on the first day of reopening of `Darbar move` offices.
Rashid, who represents Langate constituency of north Kashmir in the State Assembly, along with his supporters tried to move towards the Civil Secretariat where a large contingent of police and paramilitary forces stopped them near Exhibition Grounds and asked them to disperse, official sources said.
The legislator and his supporters insisted on going ahead with the protest, following which police used batons to disperse them, they said, adding Rashid and dozens of his supporters were taken into preventive custody.
Rashid had earlier, launched a scathing attack on the state government for its alleged failure to bring the culprits behind the spurious drug scam to justice and threatened to lay siege of the Civil Secretariat, not allowing Chief Minister Omar Abdullah and his colleagues to enter.
"Government has miserably failed to act against the culprits behind the spurious drug racket as no one has been arrested in the case so far. If there is no headway in the case, I along with my supporters will lay a siege of the civil secretariat on the opening day and will not allow chief minister and his colleagues to attend their offices," Rashid had said.
The Civil Secretariat and other offices re-opened today after closing in winter capital Jammu on April 26 as per the annual `Darbar move` - a traditional practice under which the state government functions six months each in Jammu and Srinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside