Mob clashes with security personnel, one killed in firing
Srinagar: One person was killed and a few
others injured when security forces allegedly opened fire to
disperse angry protesters in Baramulla district of North
Kashmir this evening.
The incident took place when locals mobbed an armoured
vehicle in Baramulla town, 55 kms from here, to protest
against the mysterious death of a boy who drowned in Jehlum
river yesterday, police said.
The mob, which was defying curfew and prohibitory orders,
started pelting stones at security personnel and also
attempted to set the armoured vehicle on fire, they said.
The incident left Fayaz Ahmad Khanday (25) dead even as
security forces asserted that they opened fire in the air
Police indicated that it could also be the handiwork of
some of the terror groups, whose member could have fired from amidst the mob, that led to the unfortunate incident.
The mob took to streets after the body of Faizan Ahmad
Buhroo, a class 7th student, was fished out from river Jhelum
yesterday - two days after he reportedly drowned when he was
fleeing from police following a clash.
The locals alleged that the boy was pushed into the river
by police and sought an inquiry into the incident. However,
police has denied the allegations and said investigations are
on to ascertain the facts regarding the drowning of the boy.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference