Mobile services temporarily suspended in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Mobile phone services across Kashmir Valley were temporarily suspended on Friday as a precautionary measure to prevent militants from using these devices to carry out any subversive activities.
Cell phone and mobile Internet services were snapped this morning as part of the security drill started in 2006.
Militants in August 2005 had triggered an IED outside Bakshi Stadium, the main venue for Independence Day celebrations in Jammu and Kashmir, leading to the practice of suspending mobile phone services on this day and Republic Day.
The services were restored soon after the official functions concluded here and at all the district headquarters, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you