Mobile services temporarily suspended in Kashmir Valley
Srinagar: Mobile phone services across Kashmir Valley were temporarily suspended on Friday as a precautionary measure to prevent militants from using these devices to carry out any subversive activities.
Cell phone and mobile Internet services were snapped this morning as part of the security drill started in 2006.
Militants in August 2005 had triggered an IED outside Bakshi Stadium, the main venue for Independence Day celebrations in Jammu and Kashmir, leading to the practice of suspending mobile phone services on this day and Republic Day.
The services were restored soon after the official functions concluded here and at all the district headquarters, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter