`Moderate Hurriyat favoured hanging Afzal’
Srinagar: Moderate Hurriyat Conference
leaders were privately in favour of hanging Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru if he was guilty but felt that he did not get adequate representation during parts of his trial, leaked
US diplomatic cables have claimed.
"While they (moderates) were concerned that Afzal did
not have adequate representation during parts of his trial,
privately they say that he should be executed if he is
guilty," a US cable released by Wikileaks last week said.
The revelation comes at a time when there is a heated
debate, triggered by Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar
Abdullah, about clemency for Guru, who is on the death row for
his role in the 2001 Parliament attack case.
The separatist amalgam headed by Mirwaiz Umer Farooq has been seeking amnesty for Guru in their public statements.
"Moderate Hurriyat Leader told PolOff (political office)
candidly that his faction of political separatists was
remaining as quiet as possible about the issue because they do
not feel strongly that India should pardon Afzal," the cable
The identity of the moderate Hurriyat leader, quoted in
the cable, has, however, not been disclosed.
"If someone is a terrorist, they should meet a violent
end," the diplomatic cable quoting the moderate Hurriyat
The cable was sent by `PYATT`, referring to the then US
Charge d`Affaires Geoffrey Pyatt and carries the subject line
"Kashmir: Pending execution causing strife for Congress New
The moderate leader had told the US political office,
the cable says, that moderate members of the Hurriyat "are
unable to express this view publicly, given the mood in the
valley and the threat from terrorists".
"For this reason, the moderate Hurriyat as a body has
remained relatively quiet about the issue," the cable said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Athlete Dutee Chand qualifies for Rio Olympics in 100m sprint
- Enthusiasm in social networking may earn you a job: ASSOCHAM report
- How far is it right to link terrorism with religion?
- Pak looks for lobbyist in US after recent diplomatic disasters
- Copa America Final: Messi `the best player of all time`, believes Chile manager Juan Antonio Pizzi
- Watch: 'Kumkum Bhagya' Episode 604—Tanushree plans a conspiracy to denigrate Pragya
- Micromax launches Unite 4, Unite 4 pro smartphones
- Football Transfer: Barcelona's Dani Alves undergoes Juventus medical