Moderate tremor jolts Kashmir
Srinagar: A moderate intensity tremor measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale jolted Kashmir early Sunday, but no loss of life or damage to property was reported, officials said.
"An earthquake measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale hit the Valley at 4.51 am," Amir Ali, in charge of the disaster management cell for Kashmir province, told a news agency here.
"We have not received any report of casualties or damage to property so far," he said.
The official said the epicentre of the quake was located in the Hindukush mountain range of Afghanistan.
"The quake did not cause any damage because the epicentre was 93 km deep down in the earth. Technically, shallow quakes with epicentre close to the earth`s surface are those that cause damage," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off