Moderate tremor jolts Kashmir
Srinagar: A moderate intensity tremor measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale jolted Kashmir early Sunday, but no loss of life or damage to property was reported, officials said.
"An earthquake measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale hit the Valley at 4.51 am," Amir Ali, in charge of the disaster management cell for Kashmir province, told a news agency here.
"We have not received any report of casualties or damage to property so far," he said.
The official said the epicentre of the quake was located in the Hindukush mountain range of Afghanistan.
"The quake did not cause any damage because the epicentre was 93 km deep down in the earth. Technically, shallow quakes with epicentre close to the earth`s surface are those that cause damage," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29