Moderate tremor jolts Kashmir
Srinagar: A moderate intensity tremor measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale jolted Kashmir early Sunday, but no loss of life or damage to property was reported, officials said.
"An earthquake measuring 5.7 on the Richter scale hit the Valley at 4.51 am," Amir Ali, in charge of the disaster management cell for Kashmir province, told a news agency here.
"We have not received any report of casualties or damage to property so far," he said.
The official said the epicentre of the quake was located in the Hindukush mountain range of Afghanistan.
"The quake did not cause any damage because the epicentre was 93 km deep down in the earth. Technically, shallow quakes with epicentre close to the earth`s surface are those that cause damage," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!