Moderate tremor rocks Bhaderwah Valley
Bhaderwah: A moderate intensity tremor shook Bhaderwah valley and adjoining areas of Doda-Kishtwar belt of Jammu and Kashmir in the wee hours Thursday, triggering panic among the people after a week of lull.
The tremor measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale struck the Doda-Kishtwar belt at around 2.38 AM, MeT officials said.
The epicentre of the quake was in Bhaderwah, they said. There was no immediate report of any casualty or injury.
However, due to fear, most of the people remained outside their houses.
On May 15, three moderate intensity earthquakes and five after shocks shook Bhaderwah valley and adjoining areas in Doda-Kishtwar belt of the state.
With today`s quake, altogether 34 tremors have occurred in Bhaderwah-Doda-Kishtwar belt during past fortnight with maximum 11 on May one.
While one tremor was struck on April 31, three on May 2 and one on May 3, one on May 5 and two on May 6, two on May 8, three on May 13, one on May 14, eight on May 15 and one today.
Two persons were killed and 69 others, including 26 students and three teachers, injured when scores of buildings were damaged due repeated tremors that shook Doda and Kishtwar districts.
A tremor measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale was recorded at 12.27 PM and subsequent 10 aftershocks continued till 3.02 PM on May one in Jammu and Kashmir.
Police has put on alert its 100 field-units for acting as rescue teams in case of any unforeseen situation and exigency of quake situation in Doda district.
The state government has announced Rs 25 crore relief package for quake victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites