Moderate tremor rocks Bhaderwah Valley
Bhaderwah: A moderate intensity tremor shook Bhaderwah valley and adjoining areas of Doda-Kishtwar belt of Jammu and Kashmir in the wee hours Thursday, triggering panic among the people after a week of lull.
The tremor measuring 4.1 on the Richter scale struck the Doda-Kishtwar belt at around 2.38 AM, MeT officials said.
The epicentre of the quake was in Bhaderwah, they said. There was no immediate report of any casualty or injury.
However, due to fear, most of the people remained outside their houses.
On May 15, three moderate intensity earthquakes and five after shocks shook Bhaderwah valley and adjoining areas in Doda-Kishtwar belt of the state.
With today`s quake, altogether 34 tremors have occurred in Bhaderwah-Doda-Kishtwar belt during past fortnight with maximum 11 on May one.
While one tremor was struck on April 31, three on May 2 and one on May 3, one on May 5 and two on May 6, two on May 8, three on May 13, one on May 14, eight on May 15 and one today.
Two persons were killed and 69 others, including 26 students and three teachers, injured when scores of buildings were damaged due repeated tremors that shook Doda and Kishtwar districts.
A tremor measuring 5.8 on the Richter scale was recorded at 12.27 PM and subsequent 10 aftershocks continued till 3.02 PM on May one in Jammu and Kashmir.
Police has put on alert its 100 field-units for acting as rescue teams in case of any unforeseen situation and exigency of quake situation in Doda district.
The state government has announced Rs 25 crore relief package for quake victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India