Modern machines to speed up cleaning of Dal lake
Srinagar: In a bid to speed up cleaning operations in the famous Dal lake, the Jammu and Kashmir Lakes and Waterways Development Authority is all set to procure seven state-of-the-art machines from three foreign countries.
The machines are being brought from Finland, Switzerland and USA, LAWDA officials told Chief Minister Omar Abdullah at a meeting convened by him to review the Dal development works and rehabilitation process of Dal dwellers here.
"Scientific investigations revealed considerable improvement in the water quality of the lake. Studies on hydrology, watershed exports, floating gardens, houseboat pollution are being regularly carried out by LAWDA," its vice chairman Irfan Yaseen said today.
He said LAWDA had been successful in restoring four springs of the lake raising the number to 21 out of total 58 springs, most of which had been choked due to pollution.
"Measures have been undertaken for dredging of blocked channels including the Rainawari navigation channel, Nowpora navigation channel, Meerakshah feeding channel, Chowdhary Bagh Channel and Dal-Kawpora channel and Chakoo channel," he said.
Yaseen said steps have already been taken for acquisition of land at `Rakh-e-Arth`, which is being developed by LAWDA for rehabilitation of Dal dwellers.
Meanwhile, Omar Abdullah directed the authority to speed up the cleaning process and ensure that the first batch of families, who are being shifted from near Dal, get allotment of plots in Rakh-e-Arth within seven days.
He emphasised that all necessary measures should be taken for construction of proper roads, provision of electricity and water facilities in the colony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter