Modern machines to speed up cleaning of Dal lake
Srinagar: In a bid to speed up cleaning operations in the famous Dal lake, the Jammu and Kashmir Lakes and Waterways Development Authority is all set to procure seven state-of-the-art machines from three foreign countries.
The machines are being brought from Finland, Switzerland and USA, LAWDA officials told Chief Minister Omar Abdullah at a meeting convened by him to review the Dal development works and rehabilitation process of Dal dwellers here.
"Scientific investigations revealed considerable improvement in the water quality of the lake. Studies on hydrology, watershed exports, floating gardens, houseboat pollution are being regularly carried out by LAWDA," its vice chairman Irfan Yaseen said today.
He said LAWDA had been successful in restoring four springs of the lake raising the number to 21 out of total 58 springs, most of which had been choked due to pollution.
"Measures have been undertaken for dredging of blocked channels including the Rainawari navigation channel, Nowpora navigation channel, Meerakshah feeding channel, Chowdhary Bagh Channel and Dal-Kawpora channel and Chakoo channel," he said.
Yaseen said steps have already been taken for acquisition of land at `Rakh-e-Arth`, which is being developed by LAWDA for rehabilitation of Dal dwellers.
Meanwhile, Omar Abdullah directed the authority to speed up the cleaning process and ensure that the first batch of families, who are being shifted from near Dal, get allotment of plots in Rakh-e-Arth within seven days.
He emphasised that all necessary measures should be taken for construction of proper roads, provision of electricity and water facilities in the colony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!