Modern machines to speed up cleaning of Dal lake
Srinagar: In a bid to speed up cleaning operations in the famous Dal lake, the Jammu and Kashmir Lakes and Waterways Development Authority is all set to procure seven state-of-the-art machines from three foreign countries.
The machines are being brought from Finland, Switzerland and USA, LAWDA officials told Chief Minister Omar Abdullah at a meeting convened by him to review the Dal development works and rehabilitation process of Dal dwellers here.
"Scientific investigations revealed considerable improvement in the water quality of the lake. Studies on hydrology, watershed exports, floating gardens, houseboat pollution are being regularly carried out by LAWDA," its vice chairman Irfan Yaseen said today.
He said LAWDA had been successful in restoring four springs of the lake raising the number to 21 out of total 58 springs, most of which had been choked due to pollution.
"Measures have been undertaken for dredging of blocked channels including the Rainawari navigation channel, Nowpora navigation channel, Meerakshah feeding channel, Chowdhary Bagh Channel and Dal-Kawpora channel and Chakoo channel," he said.
Yaseen said steps have already been taken for acquisition of land at `Rakh-e-Arth`, which is being developed by LAWDA for rehabilitation of Dal dwellers.
Meanwhile, Omar Abdullah directed the authority to speed up the cleaning process and ensure that the first batch of families, who are being shifted from near Dal, get allotment of plots in Rakh-e-Arth within seven days.
He emphasised that all necessary measures should be taken for construction of proper roads, provision of electricity and water facilities in the colony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly