Modi has `little knowledge` about Article 370, says Omar
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today questioned "silence" of Narendra Modi to his challenge of a debate on Article 370 and said those who want its abrogation have little knowledge about it and are "deceiving" people as polls are nearing.
In a passionate defence of the portion of Constitution, which grants special status to Jammu and Kashmir, Omar said it is working as a bridge between the state and rest of the country.
He was speaking at Legislative Assembly here on Wednesday.
"He (Modi) remained silent," Omar said over his challenge to hold a debate on Article 370 "anytime, anywhere" he chooses to.
Omar claimed that the then prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee "never demanded" abrogation of Article 370.
"When there was time to abrogate Article 370 then you did not do it. Now that elections are being held, again you want to rake up the issue for vote bank politics-- it is irony that Modi comes to Jammu and says hold a debate on Article 370," he said.
"If they want a debate on Article 370 with me, let them tell me where and when they want to talk about it. Even if they want to hold the debate in Ahmadabad, we are ready for the debate anytime," Omar had said at a public rally in Srinagar on December 6.
Regarding discussion over the Article as called by Modi, Omar said,"I was a fool that I said I was ready to hold discussion."
"Big misunderstandings get created in the minds of people, particularly those whom we have more expectations. Those (Modi) who dream of sitting on the big chairs in the country, also do not have knowledge about Article 370, what is it," Omar said.
Modi, in a December rally at Jammu, had called for discussion over it whether it was beneficial to state or not. "Article 370 is working as a bridge (between JK and rest of the country). Through that bridge, J&K is connected to rest of the country," he said.
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- WATCH: SHOCKING! When Ashish Nehra abused Mahendra Singh Dhoni for dropping Shahid Afridi's catch
- 58 weightlifters caught for doping last year: Sports Minister Sarbananda Sonowal
- PM Modi wants BJP MPs, ministers to highlight govt's schemes like LPG coverage, electrification of villages
- Tibet govt-in-exile in Dharamsala unpopular among Tibetans: China
- Turkey to abolish visas for EU states including Cyprus under migrant deal