Modi`s call for Article 370 debate a ‘doublespeak’: Congress
Jammu/New Delhi: Narendra Modi`s call on Sunday for a debate on whether Article 370 of the Constitution that gave special status to Jammu and Kashmir has given benefits to the state was dismissed by Congress as BJP "doublespeak`.
In its response, the National Conference(NC), Congress` ruling coalition partner in J and K and at the Centre, wondered whether the BJP Prime Ministerial candidate was aware of the provisions of Article 370.
"The manner they speak about Article 370 and Article 371 makes me conclude that they neither read the Constitution of India nor they have cared to attention in detail," Congress leader and Union Minister Manish Tewari told reporters.
Tewari said the two Articles are provisions which integrate various regions of India into the national mainstream. "It(Modi`s remark) completely reveals their(BJP) doublespeak. 10 years ago, five years ago, one year ago you would hear BJP talking about abrogating Article 370. Now they are talking about debate on Article 370," he added.
BJP today appeared to soften its stand for scrapping Article 370 with Modi telling a rally in Jammu that there should be at least a debate on whether or not it has benefited the state.
J and K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said he wondered if Modi was actually aware of the provisions of Article 370. "I challenge him or any of his minions to reproduce verbatim the section of Art 370 that determines the J&K state subject law," the NC leader tweeted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation