Modi’s nomination as PM candidate ‘blot’ on democracy: Geelani
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani has said Narendra Modi`s nomination as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate was a "blot" on democracy and secularism of the country.
"...Whatever happened in Gujarat in 2002, happened on his (Modi) orders and instructions.
"He is an ill-minded personality and is trying to spread communal fire in Jammu and Kashmir. His visit is a threat to the peace in the state," Geelani said, addressing a rally in south Kashmir`s Kulgam district yesterday.
Condemning a Delhi court`s order declaring United Jehad Council (UJC) chief Syed Sallah-u-Din a proclaimed offender, Geelani said he was fighting for a cause and not a terrorist.
"People like Syed Sallah-u-Din are not terrorists but they are freedom fighters who are fighting for a sacred cause and there is no justification for labeling them as proclaimed offenders," a Hurriyat spokesman quoted Geelani as having said at the rally.
The Hurriyat leader reiterated his election boycott call, saying attempts were being made by some elements to portray certain parties as the lesser evil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick