Modi’s nomination as PM candidate ‘blot’ on democracy: Geelani
Srinagar: Hardline Hurriyat Conference chairman Syed Ali Shah Geelani has said Narendra Modi`s nomination as BJP`s prime ministerial candidate was a "blot" on democracy and secularism of the country.
"...Whatever happened in Gujarat in 2002, happened on his (Modi) orders and instructions.
"He is an ill-minded personality and is trying to spread communal fire in Jammu and Kashmir. His visit is a threat to the peace in the state," Geelani said, addressing a rally in south Kashmir`s Kulgam district yesterday.
Condemning a Delhi court`s order declaring United Jehad Council (UJC) chief Syed Sallah-u-Din a proclaimed offender, Geelani said he was fighting for a cause and not a terrorist.
"People like Syed Sallah-u-Din are not terrorists but they are freedom fighters who are fighting for a sacred cause and there is no justification for labeling them as proclaimed offenders," a Hurriyat spokesman quoted Geelani as having said at the rally.
The Hurriyat leader reiterated his election boycott call, saying attempts were being made by some elements to portray certain parties as the lesser evil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- Poll defeat triggers infighting in Congress? Now, Satyavrat Chaturvedi attacks Digvijaya Singh
- READ: Virender Sehwag's important message to parents, students after CBSE class 12 results
- Hangul, the rare Kashmir deer, may soon go extinct
- Twitter war: Verbal duel between Smriti Irani and Congress' Priyanka Chaturvedi - Know what happened
- WATCH: DD vs RCB highlights - Virat Kohli steals show with match-winning knock