Monkeys damage crops on 15,596 hectares of Agri land: J&K Govt
Jammu: Monkeys have been annually damaging various type of crops covering over 15,000 hectares of land in Jammu division of the state.
In Jammu division, major crops like maize, wheat, rice and vegetable crops covering 15596 hectares of agricultural land falling in more than 250 villages of Jammu, Kathua, Udhampur and Reasi districts get damaged annually by monkeys, Minister for Agriculture G H Mir told state Legislative Assembly here.
Replying to the call attention notice of rebel BJP member Jagdish Raj Sapolia regarding monkey menace, Mir said the annual financial loss on this account has been worked to the tune of Rs 32.93 crore.
In Kashmir division, there is less threat of monkeys to the agriculture crops, Mir said, adding in hilly areas near forests, there are areas in pockets where there is little threat to agricultural crops from wild animals, including monkeys.
As far as the Horticulture sector is concerned, in Jammu division, monkeys cause substantial loss to the fruit crops like mango, guava, bear, grapes, citres fruit, litchi, sandy pear, peach, plum and apricot in an area of 68,384 hectares of land.
The estimate damage is caused to 9,426 metric tonnes of fruit production at estimated cost of Rs 472 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok