Monkeys damage crops on 15,596 hectares of Agri land: J&K Govt
Jammu: Monkeys have been annually damaging various type of crops covering over 15,000 hectares of land in Jammu division of the state.
In Jammu division, major crops like maize, wheat, rice and vegetable crops covering 15596 hectares of agricultural land falling in more than 250 villages of Jammu, Kathua, Udhampur and Reasi districts get damaged annually by monkeys, Minister for Agriculture G H Mir told state Legislative Assembly here.
Replying to the call attention notice of rebel BJP member Jagdish Raj Sapolia regarding monkey menace, Mir said the annual financial loss on this account has been worked to the tune of Rs 32.93 crore.
In Kashmir division, there is less threat of monkeys to the agriculture crops, Mir said, adding in hilly areas near forests, there are areas in pockets where there is little threat to agricultural crops from wild animals, including monkeys.
As far as the Horticulture sector is concerned, in Jammu division, monkeys cause substantial loss to the fruit crops like mango, guava, bear, grapes, citres fruit, litchi, sandy pear, peach, plum and apricot in an area of 68,384 hectares of land.
The estimate damage is caused to 9,426 metric tonnes of fruit production at estimated cost of Rs 472 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks