More deaths due to road mishaps than militancy in J&K: DGP
Jammu: Jammu and Kashmir has witnessed more deaths in traffic accidents than due to militancy in the last one decade, state Director General of Police (DGP) Ashok Prasad said on Monday.
"Traffic deaths are higher than militancy or any other category of crime during the last one decade in the state," Prasad told reporters after flagging off a Road Safety Rally from police sports stadium here.
About 90 per cent of the road mishaps can be averted by following the traffic norms, he said.
The Road Safety Rally, organised by traffic police and transport department, after traversing through Panama Chowk, Bahu Plaza, Green Belt and Gandhi Nagar culminated at the police sports stadium.
The DGP said the rally would help in generating awareness among people about the road safety measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra