More democracy in family-run parties like NC than in BJP: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Sunday hit out at BJP saying there was more democracy in "family-run" parties like his National Conference than in "parties with a difference".
"I dare say there is more democracy in so-called `family run` parties like JKNC than in `parties with a difference`," Omar wrote on micro-blogging site twitter.
Omar was apparently referring to discord within BJP over denial of ticket to veteran leader Jaswant Singh for Lok Sabha polls and some other controversies surrounding the opposition party at the Centre.
He said with likes of Atal Bihari Vajpayee and L K Advani around, there was democracy in the party but now it is being run as "monopoly" of BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
"Earlier there was Advani-Vajpayee duo, possibly even with (Murli Manohar) Joshi but now it`s just the NaMo (Narendra Modi) monopoly," he said.
Omar also dismissed suggestions that Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi was not able to work with the old guard saying it was Modi who was culling the senior leadership of BJP.
"For all the chatter that RG (Rahul Gandhi) can`t work with the old guard of the Congress, it`s actually NaMo who has culled the senior leadership of the BJP," he said.
BJP denied party ticket to Jaswant Singh, who is now likely to contest as an Independent candidate from Barmer constituency in Rajasthan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened