More snowfall, rain as cold persists in Kashmir
Srinagar: Rain continued to lash Srinagar and other parts of Kashmir Valley along with fresh snowfall at the ski resort of Gulmarg for the second day running even as the mercury rose slightly in the Ladakh region.
Night temperatures across the Valley dipped further with the Srinagar recording a low of 1.6 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s 2.2 degrees, a MeT official said. The summer capital received 12mm rainfall during the night.
The mercury settled at a low of 0.8 degree Celsius in the gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir, which received rainfall of 25mm during the night.
The minimum in Kokernag was up from the previous night`s low of 1.1 degrees to 2.1 degrees Celsius with the town receiving 13mm rainfall.
In north Kashmir`s Kupwara town, where the minimum the previous night was 0.6 degrees, the mercury settled at 0.5 degrees Celsius. Kupwara received 3cm of fresh snowfall and more than 27mm of rainfall.
Gulmarg, on the other hand, received a foot of fresh snowfall as well as 17mm rainfall and recorded a low of -5 degrees Celsius, same as the previous night.
Another hill resort, Pahalgam, touched freezing point at a low of 0 degrees Celsius, as against 0.2 degrees yesterday, and reported 2cm snowfall and 18mm rainfall.
And, although Leh and Kargil in the Ladakh region continued to reel under severe cold, there was a slight increase in the minimum temperatures.
Kargil recorded a low of -9.2 degrees Celsius while the mercury settled at -3.4 degrees in Leh town. The previous night?s low in Kargil and Leh was -12 and -5 degrees Celsius, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed