More snowfall, rain as cold persists in Kashmir
Srinagar: Rain continued to lash Srinagar and other parts of Kashmir Valley along with fresh snowfall at the ski resort of Gulmarg for the second day running even as the mercury rose slightly in the Ladakh region.
Night temperatures across the Valley dipped further with the Srinagar recording a low of 1.6 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s 2.2 degrees, a MeT official said. The summer capital received 12mm rainfall during the night.
The mercury settled at a low of 0.8 degree Celsius in the gateway town of Qazigund in south Kashmir, which received rainfall of 25mm during the night.
The minimum in Kokernag was up from the previous night`s low of 1.1 degrees to 2.1 degrees Celsius with the town receiving 13mm rainfall.
In north Kashmir`s Kupwara town, where the minimum the previous night was 0.6 degrees, the mercury settled at 0.5 degrees Celsius. Kupwara received 3cm of fresh snowfall and more than 27mm of rainfall.
Gulmarg, on the other hand, received a foot of fresh snowfall as well as 17mm rainfall and recorded a low of -5 degrees Celsius, same as the previous night.
Another hill resort, Pahalgam, touched freezing point at a low of 0 degrees Celsius, as against 0.2 degrees yesterday, and reported 2cm snowfall and 18mm rainfall.
And, although Leh and Kargil in the Ladakh region continued to reel under severe cold, there was a slight increase in the minimum temperatures.
Kargil recorded a low of -9.2 degrees Celsius while the mercury settled at -3.4 degrees in Leh town. The previous night?s low in Kargil and Leh was -12 and -5 degrees Celsius, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened