Move to set up IITs, IIMs in every state is terrible idea: Omar Abdullah
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday termed Narendra Modi government`s decision to set up IITs and IIMs in every state a "terrible idea", saying the move would dilute institutions of repute.
"IITs and IIMs in every state is a terrible idea and will dilute these institutions," Omar wrote on Twitter.
There was a need to make existing IITs and IIMs world class, the Chief Minister said. "How about just making the existing ones truly world class."
President Pranab Mukherjee, in his address to the joint sitting of both the Houses of Parliament, said the government would set up IITs and IIMs in every state.
"We will set up IITs and IIMs in every state. In order to empower school teachers and students, a national e-library will be established," the President said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Cow vigilantism? Man heckled in Mumbai on suspicion of carrying bag made of cowhide
- Jigisha Ghosh murder case: Delhi court pronounces death for two convicts, life in jail for third
- Joint Admission Board forms panel to suggest ways to boost number of women in IITs
- Revealed! How Diana Penty prepped up for her character in 'Happy Bhag Jayegi' – Details inside
- No more surge pricing for Ola, Uber, others; all taxis to charge govt-set fares in Delhi from today