Move to set up IITs, IIMs in every state is terrible idea: Omar Abdullah
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday termed Narendra Modi government`s decision to set up IITs and IIMs in every state a "terrible idea", saying the move would dilute institutions of repute.
"IITs and IIMs in every state is a terrible idea and will dilute these institutions," Omar wrote on Twitter.
There was a need to make existing IITs and IIMs world class, the Chief Minister said. "How about just making the existing ones truly world class."
President Pranab Mukherjee, in his address to the joint sitting of both the Houses of Parliament, said the government would set up IITs and IIMs in every state.
"We will set up IITs and IIMs in every state. In order to empower school teachers and students, a national e-library will be established," the President said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre