Mubarak Gul takes over as new Speaker of J&K Assem
Jammu: National Conference MLA Mubarak Gul on Thursday took over as the new Speaker of the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly.
Gul, who represents the Eidgah constituency in Srinagar, assumed charge on the first day of Budget session, replacing Mohammad Akbar Lone who was recently inducted into the state cabinet.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, to whom Gul had served as the Advisor, congratulated the Speaker for his new assignment and expressed hope that he will conduct the House proceedings impartially and to the best of his ability.
Later speaking to reporters, Gul said members of all parties will be given adequate time to highlight issues of their constituencies in the Assembly.
He appealed to the MLAs to cooperate in conducting the proceedings of the house in a cordial atmosphere, and hoped the proceedings of the house will be conducted in a smooth manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?