Mubarak Gul takes over as new Speaker of J&K Assem
Jammu: National Conference MLA Mubarak Gul on Thursday took over as the new Speaker of the Jammu and Kashmir Legislative Assembly.
Gul, who represents the Eidgah constituency in Srinagar, assumed charge on the first day of Budget session, replacing Mohammad Akbar Lone who was recently inducted into the state cabinet.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, to whom Gul had served as the Advisor, congratulated the Speaker for his new assignment and expressed hope that he will conduct the House proceedings impartially and to the best of his ability.
Later speaking to reporters, Gul said members of all parties will be given adequate time to highlight issues of their constituencies in the Assembly.
He appealed to the MLAs to cooperate in conducting the proceedings of the house in a cordial atmosphere, and hoped the proceedings of the house will be conducted in a smooth manner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?