Mufti asks India, Pak to respect ceasefire
Jammu: PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on Friday appealed to the political leaderships of India and Pakistan to respect the spirit of the ceasefire at the Line of Control (LoC) and ensure peace and tranquility in the region.
"The situation necessitates that instead of indulging in provocative utterances, both countries continue the process of dialogue to prevent another era of turmoil in the subcontinent," Mufti said in a function here.
"We appeal political leadership of both India and Pakistan to maintain spirit of the ceasefire on LoC to ensure peace and tranquility in this sub-continent," the Peoples Democratic Party leader said.
People of Jammu and Kashmir had to face a terrible situation during hostilities between the neighbouring countries before announcement of the LoC ceasefire, he said.
He said that those living in the border areas were the biggest victims of the hostility between the two countries.
Warning against elements opposed to talks between India and Pakistan, he reminded that during the NDA regime a composite dialogue process was started and added that PDP through its pro-peace polices had convinced the two nations to break the ice and take some Confidence Building Measures for restoration of peace.
The PDP leader said there was a need to carry forward the peace initiatives and to expand the process of cross-LoC cooperation and trade.
"Indo-Pak cooperation is the key to resolving the region`s problems," Sayeed said and called upon civil society in both countries to respond to the emerging challenges so that the peace process could be taken to its logical conclusion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician