Municipal polls soon: Omar Abdullah
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Monday said the state government will soon take a decision on when to conduct municipal elections.
"A decision on whether to defer the municipal elections will be taken at the first or second cabinet meeting here," Omar told reporters after the reopening of Civil Secretariat in the summer capital of the state.
He said the government was contemplating holding elections to municipal bodies, other than the corporations in Jammu and Srinagar, at the earliest.
There were plans to hold elections before the onset of tourism season this year but could not do so as the tourists started arriving two months ahead of expectations.
"We were planning to hold the municipal elections before the start of the tourism season but our season never ended last year as we had good number of tourists coming even during January and February. The Budget session of assembly also prevented us from holding these polls," Omar said.
The chief minister said the municipal elections will be definitely held during the current year as a huge amount of funds under various centrally-sponsored schemes were withheld.
The municipal polls in the state were due in 2010 as the bodies elected in 2005 had completed their term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Day after 30 cows found dead, police chalks out plan to prevent smuggling
- Mathura violence: Two security staff of Ram Vriksh Yadav arrested
- 'Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP government wasting public money for image makeover'
- Kiran Bedi seeks banks' help for 'prosperous' Puducherry
- Now, helmet compulsory for pillion riders in Uttar Pradesh