Muslim neighbours help perform last rites of Kashmiri Pandit
Srinagar: Setting an example of communal amity, Muslim neighbours came out to help perform the last rites of a Kashmiri Pandit here this morning.
Muslim neighbours of the deceased came out of their houses, irrespective of the curfew imposed in the area, to help the family perform his last rites, sources said. Krishan Ji Puran (70), a resident of Krali Mohalla locality of Habbakadal passed away late last night after a brief illness, sources added.
They said the septuagenarian defied all odds and stayed back in the Valley despite mass migration of his community in the early 1990`s following eruption of militancy in the state.
Kashmiri Pandit Sangarsh Samiti (KPSS) President Sanjay K Tikoo said the deceased, who was an artist by profession, was left jobless due to militancy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...