‘Muslims converting to Christianity grave issue’
Srinagar: Terming the alleged conversion of
Muslim youths to Christianity here as "grave", Moderate
Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Friday said a committee
has been formed to look into the matter.
"It (conversion of youth to Christianity) is a grave
issue. Being the religious head and Mirwaiz, I am fully aware
of my responsibilities.. a committee has been formed and
assigned the job to collect all details," Mirwaiz said
addressing a Friday congregation at Jamia Masjid here.
Mirwaiz`s statement comes nearly a fortnight after police
registered a case against "unknown" persons following a video
purportedly showing conversion of Muslim youths to
Christianity surfaced on various social networking sites.
"I am not unaware of this grave problem. Contacts were
established with active Christian missionaries," he said,
adding a grand meeting of religious heads is being convened
shortly to deliberate on the issue and take necessary steps.
Last month, a Shariat court (Islamic court) had issued
a notice to a Christian priest to explain his position on the
alleged conversion at a church here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi