‘Muslims converting to Christianity grave issue’
Srinagar: Terming the alleged conversion of
Muslim youths to Christianity here as "grave", Moderate
Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Friday said a committee
has been formed to look into the matter.
"It (conversion of youth to Christianity) is a grave
issue. Being the religious head and Mirwaiz, I am fully aware
of my responsibilities.. a committee has been formed and
assigned the job to collect all details," Mirwaiz said
addressing a Friday congregation at Jamia Masjid here.
Mirwaiz`s statement comes nearly a fortnight after police
registered a case against "unknown" persons following a video
purportedly showing conversion of Muslim youths to
Christianity surfaced on various social networking sites.
"I am not unaware of this grave problem. Contacts were
established with active Christian missionaries," he said,
adding a grand meeting of religious heads is being convened
shortly to deliberate on the issue and take necessary steps.
Last month, a Shariat court (Islamic court) had issued
a notice to a Christian priest to explain his position on the
alleged conversion at a church here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video