‘Muslims converting to Christianity grave issue’
Srinagar: Terming the alleged conversion of
Muslim youths to Christianity here as "grave", Moderate
Hurriyat chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq on Friday said a committee
has been formed to look into the matter.
"It (conversion of youth to Christianity) is a grave
issue. Being the religious head and Mirwaiz, I am fully aware
of my responsibilities.. a committee has been formed and
assigned the job to collect all details," Mirwaiz said
addressing a Friday congregation at Jamia Masjid here.
Mirwaiz`s statement comes nearly a fortnight after police
registered a case against "unknown" persons following a video
purportedly showing conversion of Muslim youths to
Christianity surfaced on various social networking sites.
"I am not unaware of this grave problem. Contacts were
established with active Christian missionaries," he said,
adding a grand meeting of religious heads is being convened
shortly to deliberate on the issue and take necessary steps.
Last month, a Shariat court (Islamic court) had issued
a notice to a Christian priest to explain his position on the
alleged conversion at a church here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Rousseff ex-minister arrested in Brazil graft probe
- 4,500 people rescued in Mediterranean: Italy coastguard
- Vijender Singh out of Olympic contention, wishes best for Vikas Krishan
- Jasprit Bumrah jumps to career best No. 2 spot in ICC T20I Rankings
- Water tanker scam: ACB summons Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra for questioning