N Ireland peace process can `inspire` J&K settlement: Omar
London: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah is of the view that the State can never be independent and will always remain under Indian sovereignty, but believes that Britain`s Northern Ireland peace process and devolution in Scotland could "inspire" a future settlement.
The state is landlocked and lacks natural resources, Omar said in an interview to the UK`s Telegraph newspaper, underlining why it can never be fully independent.
But the peace process in Northern Ireland and the devolution in Scotland could "inspire" a future settlement in which "sovereignty is not threatened but you recognise the nationalist sentiment that exists and you evolve that," he is quoted as saying.
Omar was referring to a deal in Northern Ireland in 1998 which led to a power-sharing government after prolong violence and the devolution in Scotland under which Britain created a Scottish Parliament with powers to make laws on a range of issues.
The Chief Minister was angry at the Pakistan army`s attempt to "sabotage" peace talks between Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif in New York last month.
He blamed Pakistan`s army for the upsurge in cross-border attacks this year and cited the infiltration of four insurgents who crossed into Jammu and attacked the police station and an army camp killing a high-ranking army officer and three soldiers. He saw that as an attempt by the Pakistan army to sabotage the Singh-Sharif talks.
The newspaper recalled that Omar was born in Essex in the UK and quotes him as saying that his British background had given him a "broader outlook on life" although there were disadvantages too.
"There are those in my line of work who quite happily use this against me, and suggest because I was born here (the UK), I have no business being in politics here (Kashmir)," Omar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says