NC brings adjournment motion to discuss Liyaqat in J&K Assembly
Jammu: Seeking a discussion on the arrest of alleged militant Liyaqat Ali Shah in New Delhi, the ruling National Conference on Monday brought an adjournment motion in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly, but it was turned down by Speaker Mubarak Gul.
The adjournment motion was moved by MLA and NC provincial president Nasir Aslam Wani seeking a discussion and reply of the state government on the arrest of Liyaqat.
However, Jammu and Kashmir National Panthers Party members stood up from their seats and opposed the adjournment motion saying they will not allow the House to discuss the issue.
Speaker Mubarak Gul rejected the motion saying Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has already taken up the matter with union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and sought a probe into the affair by the National Investigation Agency.
Gul said the Chief Minister would speak on the matter during the reply on his grants.
Later, speaking to media outside the House, Wani said his party wanted to know whether Liyaqat had come under rehabilitation policy.
"If he has come under this policy, there is no reason for him to be in jail. Chief Minister has taken up the issue with Union Home Minister, who had promised him probe," he said.
JKNPP Member Balwant Mankotia said, "Those who are involved in anti-India activities should not be discussed in the House. First they (NC) brought adjournment on Guru and now on Liyaqat. We will not allow this to happen".
Delhi Police arrested Liyaqat claiming he was a Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist, but J&K police have maintained he was a militant who surrendered as part of rehabilitation policy and was headed to Kashmir.
The conflicting versions of Delhi Police and JK police over Shah`s credentials are being examined by Ministry of Home Affairs after a row erupted.
The state government had entered into an unwritten understanding with the Centre that any youth who had joined militant ranks in 1990s and wished to return via Nepal would be allowed to do so provided he surrendered before Army or police in the Valley.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list