‘NC-Cong govt a stumbling block in dialogue’
Srinagar: Opposition People`s Democratic
Party on Sunday accused the Omar Abdullah government of becoming
a stumbling block in the dialogue process aimed at addressing
internal dimension of the Kashmir issue.
"The current dispensation in the state has proved to
be a stumbling block to any progress in dialogue," PDP patron
Mufti Mohammad Sayeed told a public meeting at Beerwah, 35-km
He said the "disastrous performance" of the coalition
had widened the gulf between people of the state and rest of
the country and immediate steps were needed to rebuild trust
The former Chief Minister said the Union government
should initiate meaningful measures to address the internal
dimension of Kashmir problem.
He said the refusal of the state government to allow
democratic space to the leaders and parties holding different
views on the Kashmir issue had created a crisis of confidence
"As a result the dialogue process that had started in
2004 between the two sides at the highest level has broken
down and nothing beyond paying lip service is being done to
pick up the threads again," he said.
Sayeed said "it is futile to expect revival of the
internal dialogue while hundreds of people are in jails and
thousands of youths are being persecuted."
"Leaders released as a cosmetic measure to mislead the
public are being put under house arrest and their movements
"This attitude is counter-productive and can breed
only alienation and the government needs to allow a free play
of ideas and arguments which is the essence of our democratic
set up," the PDP patron said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September