NC, Cong sink differences over empowering Panchayats in J&K
Srinagar: The ruling National Conference and its coalition partner Congress have resolved the issue related to empowering Panchayats in Jammu and Kashmir, Finance Minister Abdul Rahim Rather said on Wednesday.
"The issue of 73rd amendment of the Constitution has been resolved mutually by the coalition partners and now there is no difference of opinion in this regard," he told reporters after inaugurating Government Treasuries at Awantipora in Pulwama and Achabal in Anantnag district.
He said both the partners have mutually agreed to incorporate all such clauses of the 73rd amendment in the Jammu and Kashmir Panchayati Raj Act that are in the interest of the people of the state.
He said though due to special constitutional guarantees, the 73rd amendments cannot be applied directly in the State Panchayati Raj Act, there is no restriction on incorporating good clauses of the amendment in the State Act.
"Both the coalition partners now have no difference over incorporating good clauses of the 73rd amendment in the Panchayati Raj Act," Rather said.
The opening of the two Treasuries has raised their total number to 68 in the Valley and 123 in the state.
"The opening of these Treasuries will ease functioning of the 41 drawing and disbursing officers who till now had to travel long distances to cross check their accounts," he said.
Besides, a large number of pensioners, widows and handicapped persons of these areas will also get respite from travelling long distances to get their monthly pensions.
Regarding LPG issue, the Minister said a group of J and K ministers had recently met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and sought a special package in view harsh winter and difficult topographical conditions in the State.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared