NC, Congress guilty of abusing secularism: BJP
Jammu: Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Wednesday accused coalition partners National Conference and Congress of abusing secularism and alleged that they were appeasing separatist elements and dividing people on religious lines.
"The truth is that, it is the ruling coalition partners Congress and NC, who are guilty of abusing secularism," Jatinder Singh, BJP state chief spokesperson and national executive member, said in Jammu.
Hitting out at Jammu and Kashmir Pradesh Congress Committee (JKPCC) chief Saifuddin Soz for his comments that parties like BJP stood no match to the credentials of Congress, Singh said, Soz in turn needs to explain why his party remained silent even as NC came out in support of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
"As president of one of the coalition partners, Soz owes an explanation about why the Congress maintained a studied silence while its partner NC instigated communal passions.
"They (NC) appeased separatist elements and divided people on religious lines by vociferously coming out in support of terrorists like Afzal Guru and Maqbool Bhat, but did not show the same enthusiasm to take up the case of Chamail Singh who was murdered in a Pakistani jail," he alleged.
Pointing out at the killing of CRPF jawans in Bemina area of Srinagar last month, Singh said, "Secularism doesn`t mean shying away from paying homage to slain CRPF jawans, as the ruling coalition leadership was seen doing recently in Srinagar."
"To prove one`s secular credentials one does not have to do anti-national posturing or underplay one`s own religion of birth and this bottomline has been accepted even by the world`s most developed democracies," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you