NC-Congress joined hands in J&K to enjoy power: Sayeed
Jammu: Patron of the main opposition Peoples` Democratic Party (PDP) in Jammu and Kashmir Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said here on Sunday that the National Conference (NC)-Congress coalition government in the state had joined hands to "enjoy power".
Addressing a public meeting in RS Pura, 35 km from Jammu, the former chief minister said: "It is a historical fact that whenever the National Conference and the Congress have entered into a political alliance for enjoying power, the state of Jammu and Kashmir has witnessed chaos, confusion, anarchy and instability."
He added: "What is happening after the formation of the NC-Congress government in 2008 is visible to all of us. During the last four years, corruption has crossed all limits and the government, through its deceitful tactics, has brazenly eroded the sanctity and credibility of all democratic institutions."
"From the day when this government was formed, there has been instability and uncertainty in the state," Mufti said.
"Although corruption has sneaked into the government from top to bottom, anti-graft institutions like State Accountability Commission have been deliberately made non-functional by the state government," he added.
He said the previous PDP-led government had involved people in governance. "Before 2002, people had no faith in the democracy or democratic institutions. It was only after the 2002 assembly elections that people`s faith in such institutions was restored", he said.
The PDP, in alliance with the Congress, ruled the state from 2002 to 2008 on a rotational basis. Sayeed was chief minister from 2002 to 2005, while Ghulam Nabi Azad of the Congress was chief minister from 2005 to 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow