NC demands apology from PDP over comments against Omar
Jammu: The Jammu and Kashmir Assembly on Tuesday witnessed uproarious scenes as members of ruling NC demanded apology from opposition PDP for its comments against Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, following which the House was adjourned for half an hour.
As the House assembled this morning, Speaker Mubarak Gul asked the members to allow smooth functioning of the proceedings and the Question Hour which had been disrupted for the past two days.
However, National Conference members protested against the comments made yesterday by Peoples Democratic Party member and former Deputy Chief Minister Muzaffar Hussain Baig.
Raising anti-PDP slogans, NC members- Bimla Luthra, Nasir Aslam Wani, Aijaz Jaan, Javed Dar stood up from their treasury benches and demanded apology from PDP and walked into well of the House amid protests.
"This is not the constitutional decorum that a senior member will use foul language against the Chief Minister. We demand an apology from him", Wani said.
As they continued to raise the slogans- `Mafi Maango, Mafi Maango`, PDP members led by Mehbooba Mufti shouted back- `Fansi dekar lash nai wapas karte ho` (you hang but do not return the body for last rites) in an obvious reference to Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru.
Amid noisy scenes and verbal duels between the two sides, the Speaker asked both the sides to take seats and allow the House to run.
Minister for Parliamentary Affairs, Mir Saifullah said that all should maintain decorum of the House and show respect to the post of the Chief Minister and refrain from speaking unparliamentary language.
Saifullah was supported by Minister for Rural Development Ali Mohammad Sagar, who demanded an apology from the leader of the opposition over the issue and warned that the insult to the CM will not be tolerated.
BJP and JKNPP members termed it as a drama scripted by NC and PDP and called an end to it so that peoples problems are taken up in the House.
As the tempers ran high between PDP and NC amid pandemonium, the House was adjourned by the Speaker for half an hour.
As the House reassembled, the Speaker said that when Baig will return to the House, the issue of apology would be taken up as NC members continued to press for apology.
As Baig entered the House, NC members shouted slogans. It was countered by the PDP members.
Then Baig stood up and alleged that Chief Minister termed PDP as "Maut Ke Saudagar" (merchants of death) and said that if CM takes his words back, he will also take back his words.
Baig said, "all the politicians are daily wagers-- starting from me -- all the members sitting here in the House are daily wagers for six years-- what is wrong in this".
However, Saifullah countered the charges by denying the allegations by Baig.
He said that Baig has himself accepted that he has used unparliamentary language against the Chief Minister and the issue is now resolved.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof