NC has eroded democratic inst in J-K: Mufti
Jammu: PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on Saturday
slammed Jammu and Kashmir`s ruling NC-Congress coalition
saying the government had "eroded" democratic institutions in
the state through its "gimmicks and misdeeds".
"The present NC-Congress regime, through its gimmicks and
misdeeds, has eroded the sanctity and credibility of
democratic institutions in the state," Sayeed said, addressing
a public meeting in Samba district today.
He accused the government of "undermining" democratic
institutions, including the Assembly, local bodies and the
Panchayati Raj institutions.
"Instead of strengthening these democratic institutions,
the present government has been indulging in undemocratic
means to undermine the role of elected representatives," he
The former Chief Minister said the NC`s promises of
empowering Panchayats in the state remained "mere assurances
"Over nine months have passed since the completion of
the Panchayat elections but no step has been taken so far to
conduct elections in local bodies," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Jasprit Bumrah jumps to career best No. 2 spot in ICC T20I Rankings
- Water tanker scam: ACB summons Delhi Water Minister Kapil Mishra for questioning
- Now recharge your body and phone with KFC's 'Watt a Box' meal!- Watch
- Volkswagen to pay $10 billion in US over emissions scandal: Source
- PM Narendra Modi meets Chinese President Xi Jinping, seeks support for India's NSG bid