NC has eroded democratic inst in J-K: Mufti
Jammu: PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on Saturday
slammed Jammu and Kashmir`s ruling NC-Congress coalition
saying the government had "eroded" democratic institutions in
the state through its "gimmicks and misdeeds".
"The present NC-Congress regime, through its gimmicks and
misdeeds, has eroded the sanctity and credibility of
democratic institutions in the state," Sayeed said, addressing
a public meeting in Samba district today.
He accused the government of "undermining" democratic
institutions, including the Assembly, local bodies and the
Panchayati Raj institutions.
"Instead of strengthening these democratic institutions,
the present government has been indulging in undemocratic
means to undermine the role of elected representatives," he
The former Chief Minister said the NC`s promises of
empowering Panchayats in the state remained "mere assurances
"Over nine months have passed since the completion of
the Panchayat elections but no step has been taken so far to
conduct elections in local bodies," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?