NC has eroded democratic inst in J-K: Mufti
Jammu: PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on Saturday
slammed Jammu and Kashmir`s ruling NC-Congress coalition
saying the government had "eroded" democratic institutions in
the state through its "gimmicks and misdeeds".
"The present NC-Congress regime, through its gimmicks and
misdeeds, has eroded the sanctity and credibility of
democratic institutions in the state," Sayeed said, addressing
a public meeting in Samba district today.
He accused the government of "undermining" democratic
institutions, including the Assembly, local bodies and the
Panchayati Raj institutions.
"Instead of strengthening these democratic institutions,
the present government has been indulging in undemocratic
means to undermine the role of elected representatives," he
The former Chief Minister said the NC`s promises of
empowering Panchayats in the state remained "mere assurances
"Over nine months have passed since the completion of
the Panchayat elections but no step has been taken so far to
conduct elections in local bodies," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends