NC-led govt undermining democratic institutions: Mufti
Jammu: Main opposition People`s Democratic Party on Tuesday alleged the NC-led government was systematically eroding sanctity of democratic institutions like Panchayati Raj in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Panchayati Raj is the base of our democratic system and we will not allow this vital institution of democracy to die at any cost," PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said.
Addressing a public meeting held at Lotti in Udhampur district to pay tributes to Mahatma Gandhi on his 143rd birth annivesary, he alleged the state government was not empowering Panchayats.
Establishment of a vibrant Panchayati Raj system was the dream of Mahatama Gandhi and the PDP was determined to fulfil this, Sayeed said.
The PDP patriarch accused the state government of systematically undermining the democratic institutions in the state.
"We will agitate for strengthening democratic institutions in the state," he said assuring panches and sarpanches that his party would take their struggle to its logical conclusion.
"Polls to urban local bodies, including Jammu and Srinagar Municipal Corporations, were scheduled to be held in February 2010 but the government has been postponing these on pretext or the other," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa