NC-led govt undermining democratic institutions: Mufti
Jammu: Main opposition People`s Democratic Party on Tuesday alleged the NC-led government was systematically eroding sanctity of democratic institutions like Panchayati Raj in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Panchayati Raj is the base of our democratic system and we will not allow this vital institution of democracy to die at any cost," PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said.
Addressing a public meeting held at Lotti in Udhampur district to pay tributes to Mahatma Gandhi on his 143rd birth annivesary, he alleged the state government was not empowering Panchayats.
Establishment of a vibrant Panchayati Raj system was the dream of Mahatama Gandhi and the PDP was determined to fulfil this, Sayeed said.
The PDP patriarch accused the state government of systematically undermining the democratic institutions in the state.
"We will agitate for strengthening democratic institutions in the state," he said assuring panches and sarpanches that his party would take their struggle to its logical conclusion.
"Polls to urban local bodies, including Jammu and Srinagar Municipal Corporations, were scheduled to be held in February 2010 but the government has been postponing these on pretext or the other," he said.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today