NC-led govt undermining democratic institutions: Mufti
Jammu: Main opposition People`s Democratic Party on Tuesday alleged the NC-led government was systematically eroding sanctity of democratic institutions like Panchayati Raj in Jammu and Kashmir.
"Panchayati Raj is the base of our democratic system and we will not allow this vital institution of democracy to die at any cost," PDP patron Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said.
Addressing a public meeting held at Lotti in Udhampur district to pay tributes to Mahatma Gandhi on his 143rd birth annivesary, he alleged the state government was not empowering Panchayats.
Establishment of a vibrant Panchayati Raj system was the dream of Mahatama Gandhi and the PDP was determined to fulfil this, Sayeed said.
The PDP patriarch accused the state government of systematically undermining the democratic institutions in the state.
"We will agitate for strengthening democratic institutions in the state," he said assuring panches and sarpanches that his party would take their struggle to its logical conclusion.
"Polls to urban local bodies, including Jammu and Srinagar Municipal Corporations, were scheduled to be held in February 2010 but the government has been postponing these on pretext or the other," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says