NC never allowed democracy to flourish in J&K: PDP
Pura: Accusing National Conference of
not allowing democracy to flourish in Jammu and Kashmir, PDP
on Sunday claimed it could alone provide an alternative to people
by strengthening democratic institutions at the grassroots.
"NC leadership has never allowed democracy to flourish in
Jammu and Kashmir because this political party has brazenly
used undemocratic means to remain in power", PDP Patron and
former CM Mufti Mohmmad Sayeed said addressing a
public meeting here.
Charging Omar Abdullah government with eroding democratic
institutions like the Assembly, urban local bodies and
Panchayati Raj Institutions during the last three years,
he said that almost one year has passed after elections but no
decision has been taken so far to conduct elections of the
Block Samities and Zila Samities.
"Civic bodies elections were scheduled to be held in
the month of February 2010 but the government has been
delaying the elections" as it is not interested in delegating
powers at the grassroots, he said.
"Formation of PDP in the year 1999 was the turning poin
in the history of Jammu and Kashmir because, in a short span
of time, PDP has earned credibility of the people of Jammu and
Kashmir and the party has been emerged as biggest political
force of the state", he said.
"I don?t want to praise ourselves but it a historical
fact that it was PDP that had revived confidence of the people
of the State in the democratic institutions", he said.
"From 1947 to 2002, NC had never allowed strengthening
of democratic institutions in the State because instability in
the system as well as in the State suits this party", he
observed and asserted that PDP has challenged domination of NC
and changed political discourse of the state through its
visionary and pro-peace policies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Half-century for world no. 1 Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros
- Congo citizen murder: Strict action needed, says Union Minister VK Singh
- Who stole the cookie? Let the canine siblings solve this mystery! - Watch video
- Galaxy of leaders to attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in; 18 new faces to become ministers
- Jose Mourinho signs Manchester United contract: Reports