NCM writes to govt on minorities in J&K
New Delhi: In a bid to safeguard interests
of pandits and other minorities in Jammu and Kashmir, the
National Commission for Minorities (NCM) has written to the
government to amend the NCM Act to make it applicable to the
trouble-torn state as well.
The Commission, which has been taking up the issue with
the state administration for a long time, has also written to
the state Law Minister, Ali Mohammed Sagar, in this regard.
Copies of the letter have also been submitted to Union
Home Minister P Chidambaram, Law Minister Salman Khurshid and
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah.
"The Commission recommends that J&K consider
extension of NCM Act-1992 to the state by making a
recommendation to President that an amendment may be made to
the Act to make it applicable to the state and by considering
enactment of a law for promulgation of J&K Minorities Act
along the lines of the model Act developed by this Commission
and circulated to all states," the letter said.
The panel also expressed happiness over the state
government`s contention that it was "not averse" to the
benevolent recommendations of the NCM.
NCM chairperson Wajahat Habibullah said
the commission wants that minorities in J&K get benefits
available to minorities elsewhere and has been regularly
interacting with the state government in this regard.
The state government earlier contended that complexity in
declaring any group a minority arises from the existence of a
peculiar, region-wise and community-wise composition in the
state, where no community is in minority in all the three
regions of Jammu, Kashmir and Leh.
Habibullah, however, felt that the seeming complexity can
be resolved through a dynamic combination of the NCM Act 1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: BJP's Rita Padole, Ravi Landge win from Amravati, Pimpri Chinchwad seats; Shiv Sena takes early lead in BMC polls