NC`s adjournment motion on Hizb militant disallowed
Jammu: The ruling National Conference on Monday brought an adjournment motion in the Jammu and Kashmir Assembly to discuss and debate the issue of the arrest, by Delhi Police, of militant Liyaqat Ali Shah. The Speaker disallowed the motion.
The adjournment motion was moved by the National Conference`s provincial president Nasir Aslam Wani and three others of his party, seeking a discussion on the subject of why a Kashmiri was being targeted, particularly when he was on his way home to surrender to police.
Speaker Mubarak Gul, however, disallowed the adjournment motion, saying that since Chief Minister Omar Abdullah has already taken up the matter with Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and sought a probe into the whole affair by the National Investigation Agency, the adjournment motion did not hold water.
There are two conflicting versions on the arrest of Liyakat Ali Shah, a militant of the Hizb-ul-Mujahadeen. While the Delhi Police believe he was part of a terrorist plot aimed at striking in the union capital, the Jammu and Kashmir Police say he was on his way back home from Pakistan to surrender, under the rehabilitation policy of the government.
The rehabilitation policy, announced by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in 2010, is meant to encourage those militants wishing to return to the mainstream from Pakistan-administered Kashmir to lay down arms and return to their families.
The surrendered militants, however, will continue to be tried by the courts if cases are pending against them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part III
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part IV
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part V
- Half-century for world no. 1 Novak Djokovic at Roland Garros
- Congo citizen murder: Strict action needed, says Union Minister VK Singh
- Who stole the cookie? Let the canine siblings solve this mystery! - Watch video
- Galaxy of leaders to attend Mamata Banerjee's swearing-in; 18 new faces to become ministers
- Jose Mourinho signs Manchester United contract: Reports