Nearly 250 militants active in J&K, says police ch
Jammu: At least 250 militants are active in Jammu and Kashmir and there is a lot of pressure from the other side of the border to infiltrate more terrorists, Director General of Police Ashok Prasad said on Monday.
However, only 100 militancy related incident were witnessed this year in the state so far, as compared to 190 last year, the DGP said.
"230-250 militants are active in Jammu and Kashmir -- and total number of militancy related incidents this year is 100," Prasad told reporters here.
2011 has witnessed 190 terrorist related incidents as compared to 368 incidents in 2010 in the state, he said.
"This is reflected in the simple fact-- if 100 militants are active this year, roughly 150 militants have done nothing in one year-- rest 100 militants have done one incident each in the year," he said.
DGP reviewed the security measures and visited the police headquarters after resuming the work in Jammu following the capital shift.
"In terms of active militants and effectiveness, you can make your own assessment but we believe we have managed to contain situation on this side of the border," the DGP said.
As far as security situation is concerned, the DGP said "detailed reviews have been done both in Srinagar and Jammu."
In Jammu region, there are 25 to 30 militants active, the officer said.
On infiltration, the DGP said, "There is a lot of pressure from the other side of the border to cross and come here, but the effectiveness of security agencies has made the task difficult for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- DNA: Today in History, 18th February, 2017
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test