Nearly 250 militants active in J&K, says police ch
Jammu: At least 250 militants are active in Jammu and Kashmir and there is a lot of pressure from the other side of the border to infiltrate more terrorists, Director General of Police Ashok Prasad said on Monday.
However, only 100 militancy related incident were witnessed this year in the state so far, as compared to 190 last year, the DGP said.
"230-250 militants are active in Jammu and Kashmir -- and total number of militancy related incidents this year is 100," Prasad told reporters here.
2011 has witnessed 190 terrorist related incidents as compared to 368 incidents in 2010 in the state, he said.
"This is reflected in the simple fact-- if 100 militants are active this year, roughly 150 militants have done nothing in one year-- rest 100 militants have done one incident each in the year," he said.
DGP reviewed the security measures and visited the police headquarters after resuming the work in Jammu following the capital shift.
"In terms of active militants and effectiveness, you can make your own assessment but we believe we have managed to contain situation on this side of the border," the DGP said.
As far as security situation is concerned, the DGP said "detailed reviews have been done both in Srinagar and Jammu."
In Jammu region, there are 25 to 30 militants active, the officer said.
On infiltration, the DGP said, "There is a lot of pressure from the other side of the border to cross and come here, but the effectiveness of security agencies has made the task difficult for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day