Nearly 50,000 weapons seized in J&K in 23 yrs of militancy
Jammu: Twenty-three years of insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir have seen security forces recover nearly 50,000 weapons, including 30,859 AK assault rifles, according to a recent report on militancy compiled by the state Home Ministry.
The list of 49,627 weapons recovered till November-end also includes 11,576 pistols and revolvers along with 1,028 universal machine guns, 80 carbines, 2,264 rocket-propelled grenade launchers, 221 light machine guns/self-loading rifles, 306 .303 rifles, 394 sniper rifles, 69 general purpose machine guns and 2,830 rocket boosters.
The AK rifles recovered include those of the 47, 56, 74 series. While 160 AK assault rifles were were recovered this year as compared to 177 pieces in 2011, the highest number seized was 3,504 rifles, in 1992.
Similarly, 181 pistols were recovered in 2012 as against 162 in 2011 with the highest cache of 1,052 seized in 1996.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next