Nearly 50,000 weapons seized in J&K in 23 yrs of militancy
Jammu: Twenty-three years of insurgency in Jammu and Kashmir have seen security forces recover nearly 50,000 weapons, including 30,859 AK assault rifles, according to a recent report on militancy compiled by the state Home Ministry.
The list of 49,627 weapons recovered till November-end also includes 11,576 pistols and revolvers along with 1,028 universal machine guns, 80 carbines, 2,264 rocket-propelled grenade launchers, 221 light machine guns/self-loading rifles, 306 .303 rifles, 394 sniper rifles, 69 general purpose machine guns and 2,830 rocket boosters.
The AK rifles recovered include those of the 47, 56, 74 series. While 160 AK assault rifles were were recovered this year as compared to 177 pieces in 2011, the highest number seized was 3,504 rifles, in 1992.
Similarly, 181 pistols were recovered in 2012 as against 162 in 2011 with the highest cache of 1,052 seized in 1996.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it