Need to delink panchayat affair from politics: Tarigami
Srinagar: Expressing concern over the recent killing of a panchayat member in the state, Jammu and Kashmir CPI(M) Wednesday said there is the need to keep panchayat activities insulated from political issues.
"There is a need to delink Panchayati institutions from larger political issues. Panchayats are for development of the state and for welfare of the people. They are not for diluting the political issues. There is no politics involved," party`s state secretary M Y Tarigami said.
He also appealed to all political parties to condemn such incidents and support the elected representatives so that they can work for the welfare of the people.
Alleging that the state government failed to ensure a sense of security among panchayat members, Tarigami said he will bring a Private Member`s Bill in the forthcoming session of the Assembly for amendments in the Panchayati Raj Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16