Need to delink panchayat affair from politics: Tarigami
Srinagar: Expressing concern over the recent killing of a panchayat member in the state, Jammu and Kashmir CPI(M) Wednesday said there is the need to keep panchayat activities insulated from political issues.
"There is a need to delink Panchayati institutions from larger political issues. Panchayats are for development of the state and for welfare of the people. They are not for diluting the political issues. There is no politics involved," party`s state secretary M Y Tarigami said.
He also appealed to all political parties to condemn such incidents and support the elected representatives so that they can work for the welfare of the people.
Alleging that the state government failed to ensure a sense of security among panchayat members, Tarigami said he will bring a Private Member`s Bill in the forthcoming session of the Assembly for amendments in the Panchayati Raj Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?