Need to delink panchayat affair from politics: Tarigami
Srinagar: Expressing concern over the recent killing of a panchayat member in the state, Jammu and Kashmir CPI(M) Wednesday said there is the need to keep panchayat activities insulated from political issues.
"There is a need to delink Panchayati institutions from larger political issues. Panchayats are for development of the state and for welfare of the people. They are not for diluting the political issues. There is no politics involved," party`s state secretary M Y Tarigami said.
He also appealed to all political parties to condemn such incidents and support the elected representatives so that they can work for the welfare of the people.
Alleging that the state government failed to ensure a sense of security among panchayat members, Tarigami said he will bring a Private Member`s Bill in the forthcoming session of the Assembly for amendments in the Panchayati Raj Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman