‘Need to revisit policy on use of non-lethal weapons’
Jammu: Under attack by the opposition for disarming of Police and CRPF personnel under Standard Operation Procedure (SOP) on use of non-lethal weaponary in the Valley, Congress Minister Sham Lal Sharma Thursday said that the policy need to be reviewed.
Today there is cabinet meeting-- we will discuss it (disarming of Police and CRPF under SOP)-- I think there is a need to re-visit this policy once again-- it is needed to be reviewed", Sharma told reporters here.
Sharma was replying to the volley of questions about disarming of CRPF and policemen and making them targets of the militants in Kashmir valley, revocation of Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) and the happenings in the state Assembly over Afzal Guru issue.
Commenting on revocation of AFSPA, the Minister said "If we say militancy from Jammu and Kashmir has been wiped out-- but this type of incident (Yesterday`s fidayeen attack) shows that militancy has not been fully stamped out from J&K".
"I condemn the fidayeen attack on security forces-- I do not feel our forces- Army and Para-military forces- are demoralised-- our jawans are brave and they are moving forward (to stamp out terrorism)", Sharma said.
Replying to the question on opposition and ruling National Conference raising the issue of Afzal Guru in the House, he said "state is moving towards political bankruptcy-- may be I am also coming in it".
He further said "as the elections are coming close-- we are doing issue based politics-- the situation that is emerging in Jammu and Kashmir, the political people are undermining it".
Replying to the another question about politics being done by PDP and NC on selective deaths on the basis of religion, he said "yesterday`s killings which took place in Kashmir-- death is a death-- we should in totality condemn all of them-- If we take these issues on the basis of caste, creed and religion, I condemn it".
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed