Need to win back confidence of countries on J&K travel: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Tuesday said "false propaganda" about the state needs to be countered to win back the confidence of countries which still have negative travel advisories in place.
"There is a need to counter the false propaganda about the state so that more nations follow Germany, Japan and UK to lift or modify their travel advisories," Omar told reporters minutes before flagging off the first ever international cycling event here.
Omar said his government wants to present Kashmir in a "new form."
"Jammu and Kashmir is famous for its beauty but we want to present it in a new form to the world. We offer opportunities for international events like this as the state is blessed with beautiful terrains," he said.
The Chief Minister said he was at first skeptical about hosting such an event in the state when the organisers approached the government.
"Honestly, I was extremely skeptically. I was not sure about the seriousness behind the proposal and how the event would shape up but we mush appreciate the tenacity with which the organisers worked to make this event a success," he said.
Omar said the event has brought a new sport to the state and expressed hope the youth of the state will take it forward as a means of staying fit and to compete.
"Such an event would not have been thought of some time back but with the situation improving we hope to see many more such events taking place here," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister