Need to win back confidence of countries on J&K travel: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Tuesday said "false propaganda" about the state needs to be countered to win back the confidence of countries which still have negative travel advisories in place.
"There is a need to counter the false propaganda about the state so that more nations follow Germany, Japan and UK to lift or modify their travel advisories," Omar told reporters minutes before flagging off the first ever international cycling event here.
Omar said his government wants to present Kashmir in a "new form."
"Jammu and Kashmir is famous for its beauty but we want to present it in a new form to the world. We offer opportunities for international events like this as the state is blessed with beautiful terrains," he said.
The Chief Minister said he was at first skeptical about hosting such an event in the state when the organisers approached the government.
"Honestly, I was extremely skeptically. I was not sure about the seriousness behind the proposal and how the event would shape up but we mush appreciate the tenacity with which the organisers worked to make this event a success," he said.
Omar said the event has brought a new sport to the state and expressed hope the youth of the state will take it forward as a means of staying fit and to compete.
"Such an event would not have been thought of some time back but with the situation improving we hope to see many more such events taking place here," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire