Need to win back confidence of countries on J&K travel: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Tuesday said "false propaganda" about the state needs to be countered to win back the confidence of countries which still have negative travel advisories in place.
"There is a need to counter the false propaganda about the state so that more nations follow Germany, Japan and UK to lift or modify their travel advisories," Omar told reporters minutes before flagging off the first ever international cycling event here.
Omar said his government wants to present Kashmir in a "new form."
"Jammu and Kashmir is famous for its beauty but we want to present it in a new form to the world. We offer opportunities for international events like this as the state is blessed with beautiful terrains," he said.
The Chief Minister said he was at first skeptical about hosting such an event in the state when the organisers approached the government.
"Honestly, I was extremely skeptically. I was not sure about the seriousness behind the proposal and how the event would shape up but we mush appreciate the tenacity with which the organisers worked to make this event a success," he said.
Omar said the event has brought a new sport to the state and expressed hope the youth of the state will take it forward as a means of staying fit and to compete.
"Such an event would not have been thought of some time back but with the situation improving we hope to see many more such events taking place here," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations