Need to win back confidence of countries on J&K travel: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah Tuesday said "false propaganda" about the state needs to be countered to win back the confidence of countries which still have negative travel advisories in place.
"There is a need to counter the false propaganda about the state so that more nations follow Germany, Japan and UK to lift or modify their travel advisories," Omar told reporters minutes before flagging off the first ever international cycling event here.
Omar said his government wants to present Kashmir in a "new form."
"Jammu and Kashmir is famous for its beauty but we want to present it in a new form to the world. We offer opportunities for international events like this as the state is blessed with beautiful terrains," he said.
The Chief Minister said he was at first skeptical about hosting such an event in the state when the organisers approached the government.
"Honestly, I was extremely skeptically. I was not sure about the seriousness behind the proposal and how the event would shape up but we mush appreciate the tenacity with which the organisers worked to make this event a success," he said.
Omar said the event has brought a new sport to the state and expressed hope the youth of the state will take it forward as a means of staying fit and to compete.
"Such an event would not have been thought of some time back but with the situation improving we hope to see many more such events taking place here," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year