New clocks installed on iconic `Ghanta Ghar`
Srinagar: Four years after being damaged during the 2008 protests in the Kashmir Valley, new clocks on the iconic `Ghanta Ghar` here started ticking again on Wednesday.
The tower, witness to various political events during the last two decades, was fitted with four new clocks.
The clocks were installed by the Lal Chowk Traders` Association - a body of nearly 600 shopkeepers and other business establishments.
During the 2008 Amarnath land row, the clocks fitted atop the tower were damaged by flag-hoisting protesters. The tower was the focal point of the 2010 summer protests also.
`Ghanta Ghar` hit the headlines again in January 2011 when BJP announced that it will hoist the national flag on it.
The clocks were inaugurated by Minister of State for Tourism Nasir Aslam Wani and the Traders` Association president Deen Mohammad Mattoo.
"This is a major attraction of the Lal Chowk, so we had decided to fit it with clocks," Mattoo said.
He said the decision to fit new clocks to the tower was made in 2010, but the plan was shelved after Kashmir Valley was engulfed in protests that year.
Mattoo said the tower looked desolate without the clocks.
"That is why we took this initiative," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune