New SOPs for surrendering J&K militants soon: RK Singh
Gurgaon: A new set of standard operating procedures (SOPs) for Kashmiri militants, who want to enter India through the Nepal border for surrendering under a special scheme, will be rolled out soon, Union Home Secretary RK Singh said on Monday.
"We have got comments of all stakeholders on the subject. And the improved procedures, I think, will be out in a few days," Singh told reporters on the sidelines of a seminar here.
The issue had come to light following the arrest of suspected Hizbul militant Liyaqat Shah by the Delhi Police from Indo-Nepal border area.
While the Delhi Police had claimed that Shah was a `fidayeen` attacker and planning to target Delhi during `Holi` festivities, its Jammu and Kashmir counterpart has maintained that Shah was on way to the state to avail the J&K government`s rehabilitation policy for surrendered militants.
After protest by Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, the Home Ministry had asked the National Investigation Agency to find out the circumstances leading to the arrest of Shah.
The Home Secretary said J&K Police will "come and escort" these people (militants) from the border to the state and they would also carry out "background checks" of these individuals.
Singh was at the National Security Guard (NSG) campus in Manesar here for delivering a speech on counter-terrorism.
Over 260 ex-militants have returned to Jammu and Kashmir via Nepal under a special surrender and rehabilitation policy. Minister of State for Home R P N Singh, on April 30 had informed Lok Sabha, that about 262 ex-militants have returned via Nepal since 2010 and till April 10 this year as per reports of J&K Police.
J&K Police, Army, Indo-Nepal border guarding force Sashastra Seema Bal, Intelligence Bureau and the RAW are among the major stakeholders on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway