NHRC approached for security of J&K panchayat members
Jammu: A social activist from here has filed a petition before National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) seeking directions for the Jammu and Kashmir government for providing security to panchayat members (elected village heads) in wake of militants` threat to them.
Raman Sharma, who is also a Right to Information (RTI) activist, said that he has approached the NHRC with a petition, "praying that after the open threat from Hizbul (Mujahideen) chief Syed Salahuddin, the panchayat members of the state along with their family members are under high pressure and worried about their life."
The petition addressed to the NHRC chairman is for seeking direction for the "state and the union government to ensure adequate security arrangements for the elected village representatives."
Expressing concern over the matter of threat given by Pakistan-based Salahudin who is also the chairman of the United Jihad Council (UJC), Sharma in his petition has said: "If no prompt action is taken in this case, then these innocent panchayat members may succumb to the the diktat of the terror commander where he has asked them to either submit their resignation or face the consequences."
Sharma blamed both state and central government for being insincere towards this serious issue as they have not assured any sort of protection to any panchayat member.
The activist has urged the NHRC to issue necessary directions to both the government to take prompt action concerning the lives of more than 33,000 panchayat members and their family.
The Hizbul chief had in a recent interview to a media organization said: "Panches and sarpanches (heads and members of rural self-government institutions) are exploited by India to project Kashmir as pro-India, and as such, they will continue to be targeted...We call on them to resign from their posts and not allow themselves to be used to undermine the liberation movement in Kashmir."
Till now a total of 10 panchayat members have been killed by the militants in the state since polls that concluded June last year.
This and continuing threat of militants forced about 600 elected village panches and sarpanches to resign in the state till date in different phases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced