NHRC notice on killing of two in Sopore, CRPF denies hand

The CRPF also denied any responsibility for the other two deaths, saying that its personnel were not deployed in the areas where those incidents occurred.

Updated: Mar 13, 2011, 09:57 AM IST

New Delhi: The CRPF has told the National Human Rights Commission that allegations levelled against the force about killing of two civilians in Sopore in August last year appeared to be "false" as its personnel only fired in air in self-defence during a protest in the town.

The paramilitary force sent a report in this regard to the NHRC after the Commission issued a notice to the Home Ministry acting on a petition regarding death of four persons in firing by security forces in Sopore, Kupwara and Pattan on
August 13, 2010, during the summer unrest in Kashmir Valley.

The CRPF also denied any responsibility for the other two deaths, saying that its personnel were not deployed in the areas where those incidents occurred.
On the issue of killing of Samer and Arif Ahmed at Bumai village in Sopore, the reply said a mob attacked a CRPF camp with rods, petrol bombs and fuel-soaked rags and indulged in heavy stone-pelting on August 13. They damaged the boundary wall to storm the camp "with intention to cause grievous/fatal injury to the personnel inside".

It said the sentries faced direct threat to their lives and opened fire in the air to disperse the mob in self-defence only. "It is impossible that anybody from the riotous mob could get hurt due to rounds fired in the air," it said.

The NHRC has forwarded the reply to petitioner RK Tripathi who has recently submitted his comments to the rights body. The NHRC will now examine all the documents before passing any recommendation or order.

The petitioner contended that the CRPF report is "silent about the mystery behind the death" of Arif Ahmed and Samer Ahmed. "The Commission must intervene till the mystery behind the deaths be solved and the family members be compensated," he pleaded.

PTI