NHRC seeks report on encroachment of Kashmiri Pandit`s land
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission Friday issued notices to authorities in Kulgam district of Jammu and Kashmir over alleged encroachment of land owned by a Kashmiri Pandit family and assault on its members.
According to a statement released by NHRC, the notices were issued to the Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police of Kulgam district after it took suo motu cognizance of a media report which said that a Pandit family was assaulted by a group of local people when they visited their residence in Chowgam village to sprinkle pesticides in their apple orchard on June 19.
They were also warned to leave the area or face serious consequences if they tried to cultivate their land. Reportedly, their land has already been encroached upon, the statement said.
In its notice, the commission has also asked Deputy Commissioner and Superintendent of Police of Kulgam district to submit a report in the matter within two weeks.
They have also been directed to inform the Commission about the status of land of the victim in unauthorised possession and the steps taken for restoration of the same.
NHRC has also decided to take up the matter for hearing on July 23, the statement said.
The Commission has observed that the contents of the press report, if true, raise a serious violation of the human rights of the victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145