NHRC takes up Kashmir custodial death case
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) on Thursday said it has taken cognizance of a complaint about the death of a 28-year-old man in police custody in the Jammu and Kashmir`s Sopore town.
According to a statement, the commission received a complaint from a human rights organisation alleging that Nazim Rashid was tortured to death by the Special Operation Group (SOG) of police and army officials in Sopore in July this year.
"The family members of Nazim alleged that their son was picked up by the SOG of police in the presence of army officials July 30, 2011, for questioning in connection with the killing of a labourer, Muhammad Ashraf Dar, by militants," the statement said.
They later found out through some journalists that their son died in police custody and a post mortem examination was conducted.
"The commission asked its director general (Investigation) to collect the reports from the concerned authorities within eight weeks and an explanation from director general of police, Jammu and Kashmir, as to why the intimation about the death in judicial custody was not communicated within 24 hours to the commission, as per its guidelines," it added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know