Night temperature falls below zero in Srinagar
Srinagar: The night temperature Tuesday in Srinagar dropped below freezing point for the first time this season.
An official of the weather office here said, the minimum temperature fell to minus 0.7 degree Celsius here Tuesday. This is the lowest recorded temperature in the city so far this season.
"The minimum temperature was minus 4.0 degrees Celsius in Pahalgam, minus 3.4 degrees in Gulmarg, minus 5.7 in Leh, and minus 7.7 degrees Celsius in Kargil town of the Ladakh region.
"The minimum was 10.9 in Jammu city Tuesday. The minimum temperatures are likely to fall further during the next two days because of dry weather," the official added.
"There would be an improvement in the night temperatures after November 15 because we are expecting the western disturbance under whose influence there would be light rain and snowfall in the valley", he said.
Western disturbance is the name given to an extra-tropical storm system in the Mediterranean Sea which results in rain and snowfall in India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh.
The prospects of Rabi crop in the region depend largely on the western disturbance while those of a good Kharif crop depend on the monsoon activity in the region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Heavy rainfall forecast in Karnataka as monsoon advances
- Germany says 'won`t let anyone take Europe from us'
- High-tech scans can spare cancer patients from intensive chemotherapy: Study
- Britain pressured for quick EU split as Brexit impact begins
- Debris in Tanzania to be examined for link to missing MH370: Report