Night temperature further dips in Kashmir, snowfall predicted
Srinagar: Cold wave continued unabated in Kashmir Valley and Ladakh region on Monday as night temperatures went further below the freezing point in most parts, even as the MET Department predicted snowfall this week.
The MET Department forecast said that a fresh Western Disturbance (WD) would affect the state from tomorrow resulting into rainfall or snowfall at few places.
"The maximum impact of this WD would be on January 22 and 23 and the weather would be bad on these days," said Sonam Lotus, Director, MET Department, Kashmir.
Lotus said light snowfall in plains, including in Srinagar, and moderate snowfall in higher reaches on January 22 and 23 is expected.
Meanwhile, the night temperatures continued to drop in most places with Kargil recording lowest temperature in the state at minus 19.0 degrees Celsius as against the previous night`s minus 18.2 degrees Celsius
Srinagar recorded a low of minus 3.7 degrees Celsius as compared to the previous night`s minimum of minus 3.6 degrees Celsius, a MET department official here said.
He said the mercury in south Kashmir`s Pahalgam hill resort settled at a low of minus 10.8 degrees Celsius, over a degree down from minus 9.7 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The famous ski-resort of Gulmarg recorded a low of minus 6.0 degrees Celsius last night compared to minus 5.8 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The official said mercury settled at a low of minus 8.1 degrees Celsius in Qazigund as compared to the previous night`s minus 7.6 degrees Celsius.
Kupwara, in north Kashmir, registered a low of minus 3.8 degrees Celsius, a notch below the previous night`s minus 3.7 degree Celsius, the official said.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Fundamental question is 'who took the bribe', stresses Manohar Parrikar
- Kanhaiya Kumar is in Patna - know why
- WATCH: RPS vs GL - When Dwayne Bravo tried to 'intimidate' Mahendra Singh Dhoni during Match 25
- Fourteen killed in Nairobi floods and building collapse
- UN says North Korea accusations vs US troops 'unsubstantiated'