NJPC hydropower projects shut down due to heavy silt
Shimla: The 1500 MW Nathpa-Jhakri hydropower project of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN) and 1200 Mw Karchham-Wangtoo projects in tribal Kinnaur district were shut down due to heavy silt, following incessant rains in the region.
The Nathpa-Jhakri project was shut down last evening as the silt level rose to 18,000 ppm (particle per million) and the silt level was still above 10,000 ppm, Vijay Verma, DGM, SJVN said.
The project had achieved 60,000 million unit power generations on June 15 and was operating at optimum level.
The Karchham-Wangtoo hydropower unit of Jaypee Associates Limit (JAL) was shut down this morning as silt level suddenly rose due to numerous landslides triggered by rains.
Both the projects generate maximum electricity during this season as reservoirs are filled upto brim due to melting of snow in higher hills and discharge of water in Sutlej and tributaries is high.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Bitter boxer Manoj Kumar appeals for PM's intervention to clear Indian boxing mess
- Finance Ministry recommends CBI probe into 80 kg of missing gold from IGI Airport
- Hotel rooms are so mainstream! Rent a vacation home this time
- Sporting Lisbon's Joao Mario completes record EUR 45-million move to Inter Milan
- Top seven cos take cumulative hit of Rs 29,907 cr in m-cap