NJPC hydropower projects shut down due to heavy silt
Shimla: The 1500 MW Nathpa-Jhakri hydropower project of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN) and 1200 Mw Karchham-Wangtoo projects in tribal Kinnaur district were shut down due to heavy silt, following incessant rains in the region.
The Nathpa-Jhakri project was shut down last evening as the silt level rose to 18,000 ppm (particle per million) and the silt level was still above 10,000 ppm, Vijay Verma, DGM, SJVN said.
The project had achieved 60,000 million unit power generations on June 15 and was operating at optimum level.
The Karchham-Wangtoo hydropower unit of Jaypee Associates Limit (JAL) was shut down this morning as silt level suddenly rose due to numerous landslides triggered by rains.
Both the projects generate maximum electricity during this season as reservoirs are filled upto brim due to melting of snow in higher hills and discharge of water in Sutlej and tributaries is high.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump Inauguration LIVE: US President vows to eradicate Islamic terrorism from the face of Earth