NJPC hydropower projects shut down due to heavy silt
Shimla: The 1500 MW Nathpa-Jhakri hydropower project of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN) and 1200 Mw Karchham-Wangtoo projects in tribal Kinnaur district were shut down due to heavy silt, following incessant rains in the region.
The Nathpa-Jhakri project was shut down last evening as the silt level rose to 18,000 ppm (particle per million) and the silt level was still above 10,000 ppm, Vijay Verma, DGM, SJVN said.
The project had achieved 60,000 million unit power generations on June 15 and was operating at optimum level.
The Karchham-Wangtoo hydropower unit of Jaypee Associates Limit (JAL) was shut down this morning as silt level suddenly rose due to numerous landslides triggered by rains.
Both the projects generate maximum electricity during this season as reservoirs are filled upto brim due to melting of snow in higher hills and discharge of water in Sutlej and tributaries is high.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth