NJPC hydropower projects shut down due to heavy silt
Shimla: The 1500 MW Nathpa-Jhakri hydropower project of Sutlej Jal Vidyut Nigam (SJVN) and 1200 Mw Karchham-Wangtoo projects in tribal Kinnaur district were shut down due to heavy silt, following incessant rains in the region.
The Nathpa-Jhakri project was shut down last evening as the silt level rose to 18,000 ppm (particle per million) and the silt level was still above 10,000 ppm, Vijay Verma, DGM, SJVN said.
The project had achieved 60,000 million unit power generations on June 15 and was operating at optimum level.
The Karchham-Wangtoo hydropower unit of Jaypee Associates Limit (JAL) was shut down this morning as silt level suddenly rose due to numerous landslides triggered by rains.
Both the projects generate maximum electricity during this season as reservoirs are filled upto brim due to melting of snow in higher hills and discharge of water in Sutlej and tributaries is high.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?