NMC appeals to PM to declare Jammu and Srinagar as B-1 cities
Jammu: The National Mazdoor Conference (NMC) on Monday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to accord Jammu and Srinagar the status of B-1 cities to "ensure more flow of funds".
"Giving B-1 status to the twin capital cities would ensure more flow of funds for upgrading infrastructure and modernising civic amenities of these fast expanding cities," NMC president Subash Shastri said in a memorandum submitted to the Prime Minister here.
Shastri said since the cost of living had increased in Srinagar and Jammu, the B-1 status would benefit the salaried class with enhanced House Rent Allowance (HRA) and City Compensatory Allowance (CCA).
He urged Singh to constitute a committee on the 7th Pay Commission, release of 10 per cent DA, and merger of 50 per cent DA into basic pay and pension before the Model Code of Conduct for the upcoming general elections comes into effect.
Stressing the need for early sanction of 20 per cent interim relief in favour of both central and state governments employees and pensioners, the NMC leader urged Singh to personally intervene and take a decision at the earliest in view of inflation and hike in prices of essential commodities.
The NMC leader said the Centre should provide special package to all states for meeting the expenditure on account of interim relief so that there were no financial constraints for them to provide the benefit to state`s employees and pensioners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon
- Britain plans to send warship to fight smuggling of people, arms off Libya: Cameron
- Britain probes whether some Sharia courts legitimise forced marriage, divorces unfair to women
- PM Modi to flag-off Mizoram’s first broad-gauge passenger train from Bairabi to Silchar today