No fear among Panchs, Sarpanchs in Valley: J&K Cong
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir unit of Congress Tuesday claimed that there was no fear among the panchs and sarpanchs in the valley as they wanted to work for the betterment of the people.
"Many sarpanches have met me since the morning today and they do not want to resign. They want to work for the people. There is no fear," Pradesh Congress Committee (JKPCC) president Saifuddin Soz told reporters here.
At least 40 sarpanches and panches have resigned following the killing of one of their colleague in north Kashmir`s Baramullah district on Sunday.
The JKPCC chief said that the grass root level representatives have expressed their desire to work for the betterment and development of the people of the state.
Asserting that security cannot be provided to every panchayat member, Soz asked the people of the state to support them.
He said the state government will look into the killings, but refused to squarely blame militants for it.
"I cannot say that every killing is done by militants. Sometimes, there is personal rivalry involved. But the government will properly investigate the killings," he said.
Soz, whose party is an ally of the Omar Abdullah-led government in the state, said his party will fight for adopting the provisions of the 73th Amendment of the Constitution of India by the state government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred