‘No free and fair local bodies’ elections in J&K’
Jammu: BJP on Tuesday alleged serious discrepancies, errors and manipulations in the voter lists and cards during Jammu and Kashmir government`s electoral exercise for local bodies` polls.
"In the absence of proper voter lists and voter cards, the NC-led coalition government is exposed to the charge of being dishonest in its decision to hold fair and free elections to local bodies," BJP national executive member and spokesperson, Jitendra Singh told reporters here.
He said the entire electoral exercise was being carried out with the ulterior motive of securing over Rs 300 crore worth Central grant in the name of local bodies which would "later be subject to embezzlements and misappropriations as has been happening in the past".
BJP has raised serious questions on discrepancies, errors and possible manipulations in the voter lists and cards which, if not rectified, will turn the elections into a "big farce".
He alleged in certain areas and wards, either the voter lists were not available and if available these were printed in such font or script that they were not legible.
"The party has also pointed out discrimination in increasing the number of wards of Srinagar Municipal Corporation to 75 but leaving the number of wards in Jammu Municipal Corporation unchanged," Singh added.
- E-vehicle maker Clean Motion to invest $10 million in India
- Must watch VIDEO: This is possibly the best ever catch of IPL
- BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur proposes 10 years of jail term for fixers in private bill
- After Uttarakhand, now Himachal faces the brunt of forest fires, 50 ha of woodland destroyed
- Good News: Flying from IGI Airport becomes cheaper from May 1