No gag, newspapers chose not to print: Omar
Srinagar: As several media offices resumed functioning today after a gap of four days, J&K Chief Minister Omar Abdullah said there was no ban imposed on publication of newspapers but the dailies had chosen not to print as curfew had made distribution impossible.
"There is NO ban on newspapers in Kashmir. Papers are choosing not to print because restrictions make delivery of newspapers impossible," Omar wrote on micro-blogging site Twitter.com.
He said in case a ban had been imposed on newspapers, it would have been extended to their Internet editions as well, which was not the case.
"If there was a ban, then it would have extended to their Internet editions as well which are regularly being updated," he said.
He said the newspapers will resume publishing once the restrictions are eased.
"As the restrictions ease the newspapers will resume publication because the problem isn`t with printing. It`s with them being unable to (distribute)," he said.
"And those continuously going on about a "government gag" would be well advised to produce a single copy of this gag order," he added.
Newspapers hit the stands today after a gap of four days as authorities imposed curfew in Kashmir valley following hanging of Parliament attack convict Mohammad Afzal Guru on Saturday.
PCI chairperson Markandey Katju had written to Abdullah saying a short term restraint order on publication of newspapers may be justified in the wake of Afzal Guru`s execution, but will be unreasonable if it goes on for a long time.
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Did 'Sultan' shoot disrupt Indian athletes' Olympic practice session at JLN Stadium? Here's what happened...
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan controversy: Adhyayan Suman explains why he broke his silence years after remaining tight-lipped
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today